Saturday 26 November 2011

End of year, Kyoto

It is amazing to see Kyoto at this time. The main street at Gion-shijo station is even more crowded and everyone and every building is immersed very much in a holiday atmosphere. Christmas decorations caught my eyes as well as all the sale signs you can see from the outside of the stores, which are all very catchy and exciting. If there were snowing, I might almost think I am again in Canada.


Kyoto street, crowd and Christmas lights

Before dinner, my host parents went to a booth to buy a ticket-like stuff. The personnel inside placed numbers of tickets and my host parents asked me to pick one. It was a lottery booth. My Japanese friend told me later that it was a special at the end of year, as the amount and chance of winning are much higher so people always treat themselves with a little bonus before the new year come.

Lottery Booth with advertisement

In my family, a small Christmas tree is also set up. This reminds me of my childhood Christmas time back in China, we always had a Christmas tree at my grandparents', and we as little kids did not think much of the meaning and culture of it but only took it for granted and consider it as another chance to get gifts beside new years and birthdays, and perhaps the adults did not think much as well. I am not sure if it is the same in Japan, but obviously Christmas in Japan is more for couples than families. I have heard about how Christmas here is regarded as the second Valentine's day in the year. However it might not be so true: Valentine's day is more of a confession day in Japan, and Christmas is truly a day for the couples and somehow it is more mature in terms of age. In this sense, it is actually the biggest "Valentine's day" in modern Japan.


Christmas decoration made of the product.

Almost for any place of the world where celebrates Christmas, the holiday is made to be a big buying day. People shops for others as well as themselves more than any other times in the year, simply because of the promotion that is taking place in every possible store. The shop owners are always smart in getting people to spend. Even the prices are not reduced as dramatically as in north America, it still seem to be a good time for shopping and I am already tempted by the whole holiday feeling, and feel like I have to go there to be a part of this Christmas and new year celebration.

1 comment:

  1. November is still a bit early for me to start thinking about the end of the year (and even x-mas)...

    Check out these places for some dramatic light-up events:

    http://visualanthropologyofjapan.blogspot.com/2010/12/arashiyama-light-up-2010.html

    ReplyDelete

Creative Commons License
This work is licensed under a Creative Commons Attribution-NonCommercial-ShareAlike 3.0 Unported License.